- 440g Sushi rice
- 100 ml rice vinegar
- 60 ml sugar
- 25 ml salt
- 4 imitation-crab sticks, thawed, (or 24 cooked shelled prawns)
- 1 firm avocado pear
- 4 sheets nori (roasted seaweed)
- 20 ml wasabi paste
- Soak the rice in cold water for 15 minutes. Pour off the water, cover the rice with hot water, and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes or until tender and all the water is absorbed. Cover with a clean tea towel and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Combine vinegar, sugar and salt, and stir until the sugar dissolves. Spread the rice over a plastic tray and pour this dressing over.
- Mix in gently using a silicone spatula with a cutting motion, to separate the rice grains. Allow cooling to lukewarm.
- Slice the crab-sticks in half lengthwise, and cut the avocado in similar thickness strips. Place a sheet of nori, shiny-side-down, on a bamboo mat, with a short end towards you.
- Spread the rice 1cm thick over the nori, leaving a 1cm border. Make a shallow groove in the rice running across the short end closest to you.
- Spread some wasabi along the groove and neatly place the crab and avocado strips in the groove.
- Lift the edge of the mat nearest you, and slowly roll it forwards, ensuring the neat development of the roll in front. When a complete roll is formed, press the mat to make either a rounded or square roll.
- Wet a sharp knife, trim off the rough ends, and slice the roll into 6 neat, equal size rolls
Recipe courtesy of www.spar.co.za.